Wednesday, July 16, 2014

June!

June was fabulous!  We were so excited that Summer was finally here.  The highlight of June was having my parents in town.  My momma came early, on the 2nd.  And my Daddy joined us on the 12th. Barton was able to take a few days off of residency and we hit the road to see Nauvoo.  If you are unfamiliar with Nauvoo, it is the city where the early members of our Church lived before heading west.  We were there from the 13th to the 18th.  Fabulous is an understatement.  I love learning about History and I love my parents.  Having both was a great combination!   Here are a few highlights from our trip to Nauvoo:

Pioneer Pastimes. Pioneer Pastimes was definitely Abigail's favorite part of Nauvoo.  It is a cute little area where there are little cabins to play in, dress up clothes to wear, pioneer games to play, etc.  We spent lots of time there.  (Especially Abigail and Grandpa when the historic homes became a little too much for the attention span of a 3 year old.)


Barton and me getting a little competitive on the stilts

The Temple.  The Nauvoo Temple is built on the top of the city, looking down on Old Nauvoo.  It is the focal point of the city.  Numerous times Abigail would stop what she was doing and point out the temple.  It is one of the most beautiful temples, inside and out.  Barton and I had the opportunity to do some family names while we were there.  I am so grateful for the promises of the temple.  That it seals us for all eternity.
The temple was another of Abigail's favorites.  When we stopped to see the temple grounds Sunday evening she asked if she could walk up the steps.  She started singing "I love to See the Temple".  She continued to go up and down the steps over and over singing it.  It melted my heart.


Carthage Jail. Carthage Jail is where our beloved Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum died.     The spirit there is so strong.  I can't even form words to express the feelings felt there.  It is definitely a sacred place.


The Old Nauvoo Cemetery.  One of the most beautiful and peaceful spots that we stopped while in Nauvoo.

The Shows! We loved all of the plays, music, and dancing.  Barton has added Nauvoo to one of the places he wants to serve a couple mission someday.  I would love it.
Abigail was the main star of one of the plays

The Mississippi River.  It humbles me to think of the courage the pioneers had to cross the cold river, leaving behind their beloved city of Nauvoo.  

 The carriage/wagon rides. We loved all of the carriage and wagon rides.  Abigail even got to sit in the captain chair for one of them.


The Gorrells. These are the Gorrells.  Barton and Brandon were best friends with their son in Ohio.  They are serving a Temple Mission in Nauvoo right now.  It was so much fun to spend a lot of time with them while we were there.  

The different historic homes.  I loved touring all the different homes that the church has reconstructed.  It is always humbling to learn about the pioneers and their sacrifice for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
The midwife's house
Learning how to make rope.  Abigirl loved having a jumprope to take home
This home is where the idea of Relief Society Started.

Here are a few more random pictures from our trip.  
Ab's catching a ride!
Enjoying a dinner in our dinning room/bedroom.

Grandma entertaining Ab's in the car



2 comments:

  1. Wahoo!! LOVED this!! Abigail is the cutests little pioneer girl I have ever seen - probably why she wasn't born back then - the other pioneer girls would have been very jealous!! Sounds like such a fun trip! We will have to venture over there one of these days (last time I was there I was 14!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really is the cutest pioneer I've ever seen!!! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete